Personal obligations for your Student Visa

Your personal obligations are other obligations outlined in your visa conditions which are not directly related to your course of study.

Have adequate finances to support your study and stay

You must continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia. For students experiencing financial difficulties, Deakin offers a range of financial assistance services such as interest-free loans, emergency essentials and other support options. Please note this type of financial help cannot be used towards payment of tuition fees. Find out more about financial assistance.

Keep your contact and address details up to date

Within seven (7) days of your arrival, and at any time after you arrive if your details change, you must notify Deakin of:

  • your Australian residential address
  • your mobile phone number
  • an emergency contact number.

Your details can be updated on StudentConnect. If you intend to go home during the holidays, it is important that you change your postal address to your overseas address for the period of time in which you’re not in Australia. When you return to Australia, you will need to update your address once again to reflect your Australian address. This is to make sure that any important correspondence sent by Deakin reaches you at your current location.

Maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

You must maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full duration of your course(s) and until your visa expiry date. You must not let your OSHC cover lapse at any time while you are studying in Australia. It is your responsibility to renew and maintain your OSHC for the full duration of your course(s). It is important that you provide your OSHC provider with your up-to-date contact details, particularly your email address. If you purchased your OSHC through Deakin, your OSHC provider is BUPA. You can change your address by sending an email to with the subject ‘Update my details’. In your email message, provide your full name, date of birth, membership number and new address and telephone number.

Work only the number of hours permitted by your visa

Once you have started your studies, you can work up to 40 hours in a fortnight (every consecutive 2 weeks) when your course is in session.

Undergraduate and masters by coursework students can only work up to 40 hours per fortnight once you have started  your studies, or when your course is in session, unless you are taking a work placement with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) and it is part of your course. Masters by Research and Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students have no work restrictions. However, it is recommended that you feel confident and comfortable about your studies before pursuing work.

Outlined below are some exceptions to these obligations.

  • There are no work limits applied during Trimester 3, as Trimester 3 is not a compulsory study period, unless you are enrolled in one or more units in this trimester, or you commenced your course in Trimester 3, in which case you are then only allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
  • Family members of students studying a masters by coursework or research, or a doctorate (PhD), can work unlimited hours once the primary student visa holder has started their course.
  • You can take part in volunteer work outside of the 40 hours per fortnight work limitation if it fits within the description of volunteer work. Unpaid work that does not fit within this description is counted towards the 40 hours per fortnight limitation.

Obtain approval for either short-term leave or intermission before leaving Australia 

Depending on your circumstances, you may apply for permission to leave Australia during your studies, but it’s important to understand what conditions apply. There are two types of leave:

  1. Short-term leave of absence (up to 10 working days) HDR students study over four periods during the year and do not follow the trimester study period. Approval for a short-term leave of absence is not a mandatory requirement for HDR students. If you are a HDR student and you will be traveling outside of Australia to attend a conference or complete further research, it is recommended you obtain a supporting letter from Student Central to ensure visa compliance. Please note: You will not be able to obtain a fee refund even if the short-term leave of absence is approved.
  2. An intermission An intermission is an approved break from study for a whole trimester, or, in special circumstances, up to 12 months. As an international student, you must contact Student Central to discuss your application for an intermission. You should be aware that an intermission can only be approved on compassionate and/or compelling grounds.

HDR students who apply for intermission during their study period are not bound by trimester periods to determine the length of their break in their studies. It is important to note that the maximum intermission period allowed is 12 months.

View more information on leave of absence and intermission.

Do you care for dependent school-aged children?

If you have dependent children staying with you in Australia, you need to be aware of the following conditions.

  • If you have school-aged children staying in Australia on a dependent visa for more than three (3) months, you must ensure they are enrolled in school at all times.
  • It is compulsory for all school-aged children to be attending school. Children aged between five (5) and 17 years old are defined as school-aged children.
  • You should make arrangements for your school-aged children’s school enrolment before bringing them to Australia. Find more information on the StudyVIC website.

Government school fees

Tuition fees are the same for all Victorian government schools. There may be an exemption for your children’s school fees at a Victorian government school if you’re an HDR student or on a fully-funded scholarship provided by the Australian government. To see if you qualify for an exemption from school fees, see the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program website.

Non-government school fees

If you want to enrol your children in a non-government school, visit the Independent Schools Victoria website for a list of schools and for more information.

Other school education expenses

In addition to your children’s school fees, you’re also responsible for other expenses such as textbooks, stationery, uniforms and excursions, etc. It is recommended you get an upfront estimate of all the fees you will need to pay when you’re liaising with schools about enrolment.

If you are under 18, you must keep us informed of any changes in your circumstances

If you’re aged under 18 years, your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements must be approved by Deakin and the Department of Home Affairs. You must also gain written approval from Deakin for any changes to your living arrangements.

Are you an Iranian student?

You must not start or change your course of study, or your thesis or research topic, unless approval is given by the Department of Home Affairs after it has obtained an assessment from the relevant Australian authorities.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services