Change of visa status

Requirements for notifying a change in your visa status

Student visa to permanent/temporary residence

If you change your visa from a student visa to another visa such as permanent or temporary residence (PR or TR), you are required to notify the University as soon as possible after the change so that we can complete our reporting requirements to the Government.

Change of visa status

A change in your visa status may result in different conditions being attached to your visa.

If you change your visa from a student visa to PR or TR, please notify us by:

  • Scanning a copy of your new visa and your passport to DI Quality and Compliance at Alternatively, you can present your new visa document and passport to Student Central to forward to
  • Your COE will be cancelled as you no longer hold a student visa, you will be notified  about the cancellation of your CoE via email.
  • Your visa status will be verified and recorded in the university system and forwarded to  Deakin’s Enrolments team to update your visa status (and fee category, if required)
    • Your visa status in the Deakin system will change to 'Nonstudent visa holder' if you have transferred to another temporary visa
    • Students who change to TR status are still considered international students for fee purposes.
    • If you have been granted a permanent visa: The Student Finance team will advised you on further regarding your fees category via email . Please also refer to the Low completion and Government assistance webpage to view the changes to the Commonwealth supported place, HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.

    If you had a scholarship or bursary allocated to you while you were an international student, your change of visa subclass may impact on your ongoing eligibility for the scholarship or bursary.

Temporary residence to student visa

There are rare occasions when a student needs to change their visa from a temporary residence (TR) visa to a student visa.

You will require a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to lodge a student visa application. Please complete the following:

  • Complete the Student CoE form online
  • Student Central will complete a course map with the expected completion date and forward this to International Admissions
  • International Admissions who will check that you meet the eligibility requirements of an international student visa holder and, if so, will issue a new CoE and send this to you so that you can apply for your student visa.
Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services