Study, work and life balance
A good work-life balance means you have harmony between the different aspects of your life. Work-life balance is about learning to blend your work, study commitments and personal life successfully for optimal wellbeing. If you’re finding it more challenging than ever to juggle the demands of your life, then you’re not alone. The tips in this article will hopefully get you back on track.
The best type of work-life balance for you will vary over time, sometimes even on a day-by-day basis. University workload changes over the trimester, work commitments vary, and time with friends and family is always in flux. There is no need to strive for a perfect balance. The best work-life balance is different for each of us because we all have different priorities and different lives.
What to do
A healthy work-life balance allows time for work, study and all the other aspects of your life. Here are some tips to help you achieve a balanced life.
- Identify your passions and interests and make time for the things that make you feel alive.
- Build downtime into your schedule. When you plan your week, make it a point to schedule time with your family and friends, and activities that help you recharge.
- Keep track of where your time goes and cut down on unnecessary time wastage.
- Prioritise your health. Regular exercise has proven benefits for reducing stress, anxiety and depression.
- Eat plenty of health food and get enough sleep at regular times.
- Unplug. Set limits on your work time and set time aside for enjoyable and relaxing aspects of life.
- Positive relationships and social support build resilience to cope with stress, but these take time to nurture and develop. Prioritise time with your family and loved ones.
- Remember that a little relaxation goes a long way.
If you are continually feeling overwhelmed, it may be time to seek help from a mental health professional or counsellor. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness—taking care of yourself is a sign of strength.
The DeakinWELLBEING app can help you to create and maintain healthy habits and find balance in life.
More help and advice
Organise your week by scheduling in time for work, study, fun and rest using our weekly planner.
ReachOut has tips on how to nail your study-life balance.