Coping with a breakup
You may feel sad, angry, guilty, relief, betrayal, rage, lonely, or just bad after a break up. There is no easy way of losing someone who has been an intimate person in your life, but here are some tips to help you manage:
- Leaving someone feels different from being left. Your ex-partner will not feel exactly the way you do and it's important to understand this.
- Be kind to yourself. When you are feeling vulnerable and doubting yourself, you need to be your own best friend, not your own worst enemy.
- Don't expect too much too soon. It takes time to heal and for your life to catch up with the change that has happened.
- Be with positive people, people who like you for who you are, and can accept that you will be unsettled for a while.
- Find someone to talk to that you can share all your thoughts and feelings with.
Taking it further
- Make an appointment with Deakin Counselling Service